Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Bullet has been bitten

After staying up to past 4:30 the other morning and just after midnight last night - I will catch up on sleep, I will - the first draft of Salesmen Abroad has been just been emailed over to Scott Barber and Paul Wallis. Well, I say first draft - it's gone through about five or six mini-edits already.

I don't think I'll ever get used to that moment when I send work out to be seen by 'normal people', especially when those 'normal people' have effectively commissioned me to do said writing. If you've never been there, it's scary stuff. Even when you send a story or screenplay into a competition you're natural concern is that it's you who's going to be judged, not the writing. This is personal stuff, after all. What if they hate it? What if I've got the brief horribly wrong? What if I get run over by an eighteen wheeler as I step out of the door?

If there's one thing I've learned from reading blogs by the likes of Dominic Carver and Jason Arnopp then it's to have a little confidence in your own skill. There has to come a time when a script or story has to be released into the world, otherwise what's the point in writing it? (OK, apart from some sort of self-therapy, but you know what I mean)

No doubt that Scott, Paul and whoever else will be involved at a high level will have thoughts / opinions / recommendations for changes - that's a given - and any writer who is precious about their work and refuses to change a single word, is either a) a colossal giant in the writing world and at the top of their game, or b) the opposite.

I'm not a) so I hope I fall somewhere between the two.

No comments: