Sunday, 11 March 2012

It's nice to be schmoozed

I had a very interesting meeting this afternoon with Scott Barber of SeaView Pictures (and the driving force behind the FilmNav website) and Paul Wallis. I've written a couple of short pieces for Scott in the past - Selling Sweeney, and Novocaine WIll Numb the Pain - and he got in touch with me to see if I was interested in working with him and Paul in developing a feature.

The film - with the working title of Salesmen Abroad - will be loosely based on their experiences of working in the broadcast arena in Eastern Europe around the turn of the new millenium. At the moment it's intended to have an Auf Wiedersehen, Pet tone but with a more white-collar feel. We've indentified the central character, the three other 'salesmen' and the 'love interest/dilemma', and I've got three or four weeks in which to develop the initial treatment/synopsis.

Scott and Paul have some very good connections in the film and broadcast medium, so (in theory) the production and post-production element of the process should be much easier than novices working from scratch. All I need to do (all!) is to produce a strong template which we're all happy with, respond to feedback and then produce a first-draft script. We're looking at a run-time of 90 minutes with a 15 certificate.

I may be quiet here for a while, or I might use this area as a means of letting of steam.

We'll see how it goes.

No comments: