Wednesday, 19 October 2011

Dammit, I didn't win the Booker

But then again I've not been published.

Congratulations though to Julian Barnes who, for the third time of asking, has won the Man Booker prize (and £50,000) with his novel The Sense of an Ending. Julian has been previously shortlisted in 1984 (Flaubert's Parrot), 1998 (England, England) and 2005 (Arthur and George). In his acceptance speech he is reported to have said, "I'd like to thank the judges ... for their wisdom and the sponsors for their cheque."

There has been some criticism levelled at the judging panel for 'putting a focus on "readability" over literary merit', but Chairwoman Dame Stella Rimmington said that the winner had been chosen unanimously, describing it as having "the markings of a classic English literature."

At just 150 pages it's the second shortest novel to win - the shortest was Penelope Fitzgerald's 1979 winner Offshore, coming in at a whopping 132 pages.  *** Update *** I've just read on The Bookseller website that Random House is re-printing 75,000 copies of Julian's book following his win.

My own writing is continuing and one day, one day ... Okay, maybe not. I don't think I write quite what the Booker judges are looking for. However, my Tiberius Found story is squeakingly close to completing first draft. I had a good day yesterday and cracked out nearly 1,300 words, taking the current count to just over 71,000 words. I'm at the point of pretty much the climax of the novel where SECTION DELETED TO PREVENT SPOILER INFORMATION. So, pretty exciting stuff, I'm sure you'll agree. I reckon a few more days like that and it'll be ready to leave for a month before I get back to it.

No comments: