Friday, 30 September 2011

Ten days is a long time ...

Either in politics or real-life.

A lot's happened in the last ten days - I've catered for 100 Live-Action Role Players (with two helpers), ran the third class in my eBook writing course, spent another day on a film shoot, read about thirty entries for the Meridian Writing autumn competition (plus doing all the associated 'paperwork') and written a 6-page short for a newly graduating film director (Director of Photography, from a script call on Shooting People).

The LARP catering was for Herofest at the Candlestone camp site near Bridgend, South Wales.The kitchen there is pretty basic and the oven decided it wasn't going to work from Friday afternoon. Nice. Still, in a Heath Robinson way, we managed to produce two evening meals, two full breakfasts and one lunch for 100 people. Saturday was a seventeen hour day for me.

On Monday evening I ran the third of my eBook writing classes at Queens Park Centre. We had three no-shows from previous weeks (two of which I knew about) but one returned from week one, and two new people.

On Tuesday I returned to the set of The Polka Dots at a village hall, just outside Great Missenden. This was for the shots that the crew ran out of time to do during the mammoth shoot a few Sundays ago. We met at 1pm - filmed a short sequence for another film, by Chris Hughes - then set up for the re-shoot. What was supposed to be a 9-hour day turned into another 12-hour.

I had Wednesday off. Almost.

Yesterday I caught up on paperwork and contacted a guy called Jonathan Flint, in respect to a script call he placed on Shooting People. He's a 3rd-year film student (DOP) at University of Creative Arts in Farnham. He sent me the premise for what he wants and it sounded interesting, so I spent most of yesterday afternoon/evening writing a 6-page script. It's called Anti-Thought Crime and centres around a new drug being used to make recidivist criminals feel the emotional impact of their crimes. He supplied the central idea and one or two scenes but left the rest open, to develop. I introduced a sub-plot surrounding the real reson why the first inmate was chosen to be subjected to the drug and the effects of what happened after.

Regardless of whether he likes it or wants huge changes etc etc (as is common with this sort of thing) it's another good learning exercise for me - to be able to produce a script, and one that I'm happy with - in a short time-frame.

So today I am mostly taking it easy.

No comments: