Wednesday, 3 August 2011

Just sit down and do the bloody work

I beleive the usual saying is "get off your arse and do some work" but with writing it's the arse you have to stick to a chair to get the work done. Of course, with mobile devices now being what they are, that's not strictly true but you know what I mean.

I've made a concerted effort recently to crack on with my teenage adventure/thriller Tiberius Found and get the first draft finished as soon as possible. The story centres on Jacob Henstock who discovers, on his sixteenth birthday, that he's been genetically engineered and those responsible want him back. His parents are killed and, to survive, he's forced to go on the run. His one ally is the Professor who saved him from being experimented upon as a child, but when the Professor is captured Jacob feels duty-bound to return home and save him.

If only it was as simple as knowing who to trust.

By my reckoning I've got four chapters left to write - I block out the key beats in an Excel spreadsheet, so I can keep track of what's happened and what's left to do. In the last few days I've managed to knock out about three-thousand words, and have an estimated three- to five-thousand words left to go. Did I say "knock out"? I meant "intelligently craft".

No comments: