Tuesday, 4 January 2011

Another 1,000+ down

It's surprising how quickly, when you get your head down and not allow yourself to get distracted, it actually is getting 1,000+ words onto the page. Now if only I could do that every day. The problem is the distraction element. I even avoided looking at the latest issue of Writing Magazine, which came in the post today.

Also, not only did I manage to get all those words down, I also updated the story-mapping document to include elements which I've been mulling over for the last few days - you know the sort of things: tweaks to sub-plot, slight alterations to the time-line to make the flow smoother, blocking out the day-by-day sequence of the story so that I don't refer to an event happening a week ago when it was yesterday. Not earth shattering stuff, but I find that it's small components like this that make the actual writing much easier.

It doesn't stifle creativity, in my opinion, like some people seem to think. It just provides the skeletal structure on which I hang my story flesh. As it were. For sooooo many years (admittedly, in childhood) I just started writing whatever I had an idea of: a good opening, a good finish, an interesting premise, but had no real idea or plan of where it was going or how it was going to get there. The result was that in all attempts I ended up writing myself into a corner and realising that the corner was crap. End of interest, end of story.

By structuring the plot it just means that I know where I'm going. It doesn't mean that if I think of an interesting twist or additional element that I can't weave it into what's already there. It's a framework after all, not a straight-jacket.

Now, let's see if I can replicate the same tomorrow ...

No comments: