Tuesday, 5 October 2010

And the first draft is done ...

I've spent the last couple of days going through the first episode of 'The Killing Ground'. Cutting, or should that be hacking, out crap that in the distant past seemed a good idea to include. It was one of the first things I tried to write so was full of 'we see' and 'we hear' along with interior monologues and 'emotional thinking'. Sheesh. No wonder Lucy at Bang2Write ripped it apart.

Still, time and experience (I hope) has led me to make it a better, sharper and more detailed piece of work. Gone are the page-long speeches, the ten-page scenes and the superficial nonsense. Scenes are broken up at logical points and hopefully I've started them as late as I should and left them just as early.

The relationship between the protagonist and the love-interest has been amended to make her not seem so much like a bunny-boiler, and his reaction to what happens to her later on holds some justification now, rather than him appearing to be an angry teenager.

It's come in at 58 and a half pages long. Now, a short break. Then I'll take a look at the other chapters I wrote to see what state they're in. I've already pre-cut 20 pages from ep. 2, so it'll be fun. Or a bloodbath.

Still, never give up, never surrender ...

No comments: