Wednesday, 1 September 2010

Where did those two years go..?

Wow. It's been two years. Saying it like that it seems such a long time, but when you're going through it, it goes in a flash.

I bought the lease on a restaurant in May '08 - just in time for the economy to crash and people tighten their wallets - and have been hanging onto it by my fingernails ever since. I'm chef, pot-wash and everything else but waiter. Talk about an albatross around my neck. Some weeks are great others it's a ghost town. No pattern, no reason.

Never mind.

The writing has been continuing. A novel finished and rejected multiple times. Then I decided to re-work it - changing the protagonist and all associated elements - and I think it's better for it. It now has clear identity and who it's focussed at. 2nd draft has now been completed and is ready to go to a test market - kids, who'll no doubt give a VERY honest opinion.

A second novel is well under way. Based from two short stories I wrote for a competition last year. It's in the YA market as is the other story, but very different - a future setting as is like a cross between Alex Rider and Jason Bourne. The arc is going well and I'm happy with the skeleton so far. Now I just have to write the thing...

I reached semi-final stage last year in the Kaos Films BSSC, which is one step further than my previous entry, so I'll win it in a couple of years at this rate. The slightly tweeked script has just been sent off this morning to a guy (director) asking for short scripts from the 'Shooting People' scriptwriters bulletin - it's now called 'Coffee, Biscuits and Bullets'. A quirky tale of a hitman being visited by some of his past kils, but that's only the start of his evening ...

A horror/comedy screenplay has been started as well. Still working on the act beats but so far so good. I'm billing it as: As quirky as 'Black Sheep', as funny as 'The Cottage' and as bankable as 'Shaun of the Dead'. I'm not sure any of them hit the mark, but I can try. Celtx is great. If you haven't got it, get it. It's free and does a great job.

Anyway, it's good to be back - I know that I've said that before, but it is.

No comments: