Thursday, 23 September 2010

Scenes without words

I watched 'Cemetery Junction' last night - the Ricky Gervais/Stephen Merchant feature and was pleasantly surprised. I'm a fan of the pair but thought 'The Invention of Lying' just didn't have the legs to warrant a full feature, and went into 'CJ' apprehensive.

The main trio of Christian Cooke, Tom Hughes and Jack Doolan had great chemistry and screen presence but the scene for me which took the film was when Bruce Pearson (Hughes) - after finding out the truth about his father's action over his mother's infidelity - went back home. It looked like he was going to go through his usual routine of ignoring his father, changing the TV channel and sitting back in an armchair, but instead he went and sat next to his dad, opened a beer for him then reached out and put a hand on his dad's arm. No dialogue needed. Pure genius. It conveyed more than 'I'm sorry' or 'It's ok' could ever manage and, as I say, it took the film.

And that got me thinking about how many good or great films have scenes like this, rather than the fall-back position of redundant dialogue. This is the mark of quality in the writing and direction/acting of such scenes. One that I think all writers should aspire to.

1 comment:

The Kid In The Front Row said...

that was a really nice scene, i agree. surprisingly GOOD film!