Wednesday, 1 September 2010

Quality research

To help me get a feel for how current horror comedies are, I turned to Lovefilm.com. I have the package where you can have two discs 'at home' at any one time with no limit per month. And boy did I pack a lot of films in.

Good films (in my opinion) -
Black Sheep: a Kiwi-set 'zombie' sheep film with some great lines and set pieces. Tag line: Get ready for the violence of the lambs.
The Cottage: what starts as a kidnap ends in death and murder, starring Andy Serkis, Reece Shearsmith and Jennifer Ellison (boy, has she got a dirty mouth). The first half is pure comedy - great writing and spot-on acting/direction. Tag line: Sleeps four, bloody comfortably.
Shaun of the Dead: 'nuff said.

Bad films (in my opinion) -
Dead Snow: zombie Nazis in Sweden/Finland? Very run-of-the-mill slasher. The best thing was the tagline: Ein, Zwei, Die
Doghouse: yawn-inducing zombie 'lad' flick starring Danny Dyer. WTF?

Now all I'm waiting for is my mate, Andy Tiernan's film to come out next year. It was originally called 'Stone's War' (he plays Capt. Stone) but it's been re-named 'War of the Dead'. The rough-cut trailer I saw a while back looked amazing and I hope that the final cut lives up to it. Not so much comedy, though, I think in this one.

No comments: